If you're troubleshooting Office and would like to remove the license files on your Mac, you can use the license removal tool. This will completely remove all licenses for Microsoft 365 for Mac.
Important: Before using the tool, make sure you have the correct account info and password associated with your purchase of Office available for when you reactivate.
Before you begin
1. Check what license your version of Office is currently using. See, What version of Office am I using?
2. If you aren't uninstalling the Office apps to reinstall them later, quit out of all Office apps. If you've already uninstalled Office, go to the next step.
Download and run the license removal tool
2. Open the .pkg file from your Mac's Downloads folder.
Note: If you get an "unidentified developer" error, try opening the file by holding Control + clicking the file > Open.
3. Select Continue and follow the prompts in the setup wizard.
Caution: We recommend you double-check that you have the correct account info ready by logging in
4. When you're ready to complete the license removal, select Install. You may need to enter your Mac's local admin account password.
After the tool successfully removes licenses, select Close.
5. Now open any Office app and sign in to activate with the email account associated with your Microsoft 365 for Mac license. If you're troubleshooting an issue, you may need to reinstall Office before signing in.
After you've successfully activated, restart your computer and then you're good to go!
6. Uninstall the License Removal Tool by dragging the Microsoft_Office_License_Removal file from Finder > Downloads to Trash.